Monday, June 18, 2007

I'm feeling somewhat better today

It's been a good month for tips so we have a little extra and now that I am "taking control" of the money I feel better. We are still struggling, but now that I feel more in control I feel like we can do this. KWIM? It really does make you feel better when you know exactly where your money is going. I'm determined to get us out of this hole and then keep us out! I'm sure I'll have more down days (like yesterday), but it will happen and we will make it. I just have to stick to the budget and keep my eye on the goal. If I'm writing it all down I can see more clearly how we are crawling out. It's a slow process, but as long as I can see it happen then I think I'll be able to keep motivated.

I've done really well with groceries the last 2 weeks. I have been spending $130 and sometimes more, but last week I spent $46 for the entire week and I think Michael only had to pick up another loaf of bread (I'm gonna have to start buying 2 loaves). This week I spent $76 and I had to buy a few extras that I don't normally have to buy weekly. I am going to have to sit down and plan out our menus especially when school starts back and I'm packing lunches for me and the kids. I think I'm going to cut out the SmartOnes meals and such and just go with sandwiches or left overs. It will be cheaper. No eating in the school cafeteria either.

Our power bill was a lot less this month too. Not sure how that happened though. Usually it runs around $130 (I have a problem with this since our house in Murfreesboro didn't go that high except in the coldest and hottest months.........we are in an apartment now and it is consistently that high.). This month it was only $95. So that was more money that I was able to put towards a different bill. I like it when that happens. :-)

2 comments:

peach said...

For whatever this is worth, I feel your pain. I've only gotten one paycheck this entire year (yeah, real estate has not been so good to me thus far) so I've been scrimping and living like a college chick for a while now. I do hope things get better for you. I'm here if you need me. On a happier note, go and enjoy your vacation. Wish I could be on the beach, myself!!

Beth said...

I am in the same boat..pass me a paddle. I am working my butt off online and even though it looks like I'm pimping out my blog, I gotta do what I gotta do ya know. My light bill was 5 dollars higher this month so I'm not complaining. I agree with Peach go to the beach and have fun, let the waves carry your worries away.

{{{HUGS}}}
Beth