Sunday, January 13, 2008

Did I find a solution?


As you know, I've been struggling with my children and getting them to eat anything remotely good for them. Heck, getting them to eat anything period. Well, I went out and bought a book. The Sneaky Chef by Missy Chase Lapine. I made up some purees and breading earlier today and tried my first recipe tonight. I made crispy chicken strips and macaroni & cheese. Both had pureed veggies in them and both were a hit!! Ari ate the strips without comment. She doesn't eat mac & cheese though so she didn't try that one. Joshua ate strips (this was a fight, but only because he didn't want chicken) and the mac & cheese without comment. I was most worried about the macaroni & cheese with the pureed veggies. I just knew that my pickiest eater was going to taste the difference. I didn't make it homemade tonight, but out of a box. I put in the puree and I added some extra shredded cheese (as advised in the book) to help cover the taste of the veggies. Well, apparently it worked. Joshua ate all of it. I tasted the mac & cheese and you really couldn't taste a difference. I ate the chicken strips myself and they were pretty good.

I'm very excited! Granted this is just two recipes, but they worked! My kids ate their normal dinner, but this time they had veggies too and didn't even know it! I'll definitely be trying other recipes out of this book. I'll let y'all know how they work!

I think I'm going to try to make some fruit popsicles tomorrow. I bought frozen blueberries, strawberries, and cherries yesterday and I'm going to make the juice from them then put them in some molds. Much healthier than the popsicles that my kids eat every night after dinner.

1 comment:

chez bez said...

I liked the spaghetti you made the other night. Even if it did have carrots and whatever else in it.