Saturday, January 24, 2009

I've made an executive decision on meals in this house!

I've decided that from now on I am going to cook what I want to cook. Good well balanced healthy meals (for the most part). And if the kids don't want to eat what I cook that is just too bad. They can go hungry or eat a peanut butter sandwich. I will keep their favorites on the menu, but they won't be the only ones being satisfied with what is served at dinner. Heck, Ari is not eating her favorite thing in the whole world anymore anyway.

I've thrown in some stuff they can help with in hopes that it will encourage them to eat. Tonight we had "make your own pizza" night. I gave them english muffins and they put the sauce (complete with pureed sweet potatoes and mushrooms), cheese, and pepperoni on it themselves. Joshua ate both of his so at least he got some of the good stuff. Ari just ate the pepperoni which wasn't much of a surprise. She also ate a banana. I'm happy with it considering there are nights when she eats less than that even when I make her favorite.

Tomorrow night is fruit and yogurt parfaits with waffles. I will cut up strawberries, bananas, and give them raisins to put in their yogurt. I'll give them cute little parfait cups so they can layer their parfaits. Both of them are excited about tomorrow. LOL

Don't worry, I've got veggies on the menu later in the week. LOL Plus I add pureed veggies to whatever I can....pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, even taco meat has some pureed veggies mixed in. I'm going to try to get them to eat corn on the cob too. They both used to love it, but now neither will eat it. I have no idea what happened there. *sigh*

Oh and no more snacking between lunch and dinner. That way they are hungry and more likely to eat. I've also cut out snacks after dinner so if they don't eat they are going to learn that they can't just go get a snack later. Bad mom? Maybe, but I've got to do something to get these kids eating better meals.

I am also putting away the sippy cups. Now if they want something to drink they have to drink it at the table in a regular cup. I am so tired of finding sippy cups with milk in them days later. It's gross. I will let them have a sippy cup of water by their beds at night, but that's it.

Now I just need to stick to these changes. It's not going to be easy but I am determined!!

I've said that my motto for 2009 is "A Year of Change" and these are my first major changes for the family. So, wish me luck!

No comments: