Friday, September 08, 2006

In Respectful Memory of Battalion Chief Richard Prunty

A 9/11 Tribute~Please visit 2,996: A Tribute to the Victims of 9/11 to read other tributes.


Husband............Father.............Friend

Battalion Chief Richard Prunty was all of the above. He was married to his wife, Susan, for 33 years. He was the father of 2 children, Lisa and Christopher. They were his first family. Chief Prunty had another family. His firefighting family. He was Battalion Chief in the Second Battalion of the New York City Fire Department. He was a firefighter for 33 years. He lived for both of his families. BC Prunty was a soft spoken man who was a real "teddy bear." He once spent a week sleeping on his daughter's floor when she was sick in college.

On the morning of September 11, 2001 he was called to duty. He entered 1 World Trade Center with his fellow firefighters. His goal was to help as many people as possible while keeping his men safe. It takes amazing people to do what they do. Brave......unselfish. He went into that building knowing the dangers, but also knowing that there were people who needed his help. This was what he did. He gave no thought to his own safety. He went in with only thoughts of helping others. When the building collapsed BC Prunty was trapped in the lobby, pinned under an I-beam. He was losing consciousness, but his last thoughts were of his family saying into his walkie-talkie, "Tell my wife and kids I love them." Battalion Chief Richard Prunty lost his life on that horrible day.

Husband.............Father............Friend................HERO

There were many heroes on September 11, 2001 and those of us left behind will never forget. I am honored to pay tribute to one of them. I hope his family has found peace.

Thank you dear Richard for your sacrifice. Rest in peace.

21 comments:

Ginger said...

Paige, you did a wonderful job...you had no need to feel nervous about your writing abilities. What you wrote was perfect. He truly was a hero, and to know that his last thoughts were of his wife & kids will stay with them for the rest of their life, until they join him in heaven.

sc@vp said...

nicely done.

Katherine said...

Beautiful tribute! You did a great job. What an amazing man, definitely a hero. Thanks for stopping by my tribute to Marjorie C. Salamone.

The Baby's Momma said...

My heart goes out to Sal's friends and family...


~ ~ Justice
In Memory of Edward P. York

The Baby's Momma said...

My heart goes out to the Prunty family....


~ ~ Justice
In Memory of Edward P. York

Wendy said...

Paige,
That was a lovely tribute to a great hero.

I think this is such a great way to honor the 2,996 as individuals.

You are invited to read more about
Suzanne Geraty at my site.

Kate said...

You did a great job, and helped us to get to know a bit about BC Prunty, so that his memory can live on. This is a great thing.

My tribute to Ruth McCourt is up, I invite your comments. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute! You did a great job of writing it. I know his friends and family will be so pleased with the wonderful post you wrote in his honor.

Anonymous said...

Paige, rhank you for sharing this beautiful and heartfelt tribute and Thank you for taking part in Project 2996. Let us not forget those who died and the families left to live life without them. We shall remember the day the world cried. We shall remember a day that the whole world mourned together. We shall remember September 11th as more than just a number thanks to the 9/11 tribute started by D.Challener Roe.

Miss Chris said...

You did a wonderful job with your tribute. It was very personal and heart-felt. Mine's up too.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tribute. We lost so many beautiful souls that day.

Please read my tribute to Major Dwayne Williams, who was lost at the Pentagon.

Carmen said...

Thanks for a moving tribute to this hero of 9/11

I honor Lt. Col. Johnson today

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Richard, for what you've given. Yes, Sir, you're a true Hero.

May his family be at peace today while the anniversary of 9/11 passes.

I'm honoring FDNY's Peter Beilfeld.

Anonymous said...

This is so touching...so tough for me to read. I love what all you are doing for the families and for their memories!!

So beautiful.

I thought of doing one for an individual, and I thought I couldn't do it...and I'm right. This is just way too sad, even for me to read!! So, I opted for doing something on the postitive side and did a blog about rebuilding AMERICA and all things that are going on in this world...around the world.

Your work is heartwarming, tho so very sad. And may god continue to protect Richard in his loving arms.

Diane Viere said...

Outstanding tribute to an outstanding man. My tribute honoring Sgt. Michael Curtin has been posted today. Sgt. Curtin was an officer with NYPD and walked willingly into the Twin Towers that day five years ago on a rescue mission. He was discovered in the rubble of Ground Zero months later. So many lives lost...so many heroes.

Diane

Anonymous said...

Lovely tribute to a real hero. I have so much respect for the men and women who serve the public like he did.

My tribute is up too.

Blogger profile name said...

That man was a hero, and you did a lovely job of remembering him.

kateandjona said...

Thank you for sharing.

I also read your "I remember" post. I was in third grade on 9/11. My mom and I blog together -we wanted to let other families who have lost someone to know that they are not alone and life does continue. My dad died in 1999.

Jonathon's Closet remembers Robert Levine, lost when Tower 1 came down. I hope you'll visit.

Third Mom said...

Beautiful, I know his family appreciates this very much.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm a volunteer fireman in the Colorado Foothills. Saturday I was one of 343 firefighters who participated in the Denver Memorial Stair Climb (http://www.denverstairclimb.com/). It was my honor and privilege to carry the picture of BC Richard A. Prunty, BN-2 for those 110 flights.

His sacrifice will not be forgotten.