Friday, July 04, 2008

Funny memory

I was reminiscing about my grandparents the other day and one of the most fun memories came to mind. My grandparents lived on a farm. At one time my grandfather decided that he wanted to try his hand at raising cattle. He went out and purchased a bunch of calves. Yeah..........calves. He got all the cattle supplies that he would need. To raise these calves he had to formula feed them. We would go out in the field and the calves would suck our thumbs as we lead them back to the stalls for feeding. My grandmother would mix the formula (I can still remember the smell) and put it in these buckets with special nipples on them. Well, of course the calves continued to grow. As they grew in size our attachment to them grew. When it came time to sell them for slaughter my grandfather couldn't do it. Well he did, but he had a very hard time doing it. It broke his heart. It seems that the kids who helped him with these calves were not the only ones who grew attached to them. LOL After he finally sold his first herd of cattle he refused to buy more. He just couldn't handle getting attached again and having to sell them. When I was a little girl I was so mad at him for selling them. Now it is one of my favorite memories. I miss my grandfather. *sigh* He was a wonderful man.

No comments: