Monday, September 07, 2009

UGA 10 (0-1) OK St 24 (1-0)


Here we are at the beginning of another season of UGA football. I will write a post after each game with my take on the game. I am not an analyst. I cannot analyze what they did right or wrong and why. I am a fan. I've been a fan most of my life (starting at age 3 according to my family). I can give you my thoughts and feelings on the game. If you are looking for analysts you will need to turn elsewhere. Look over to the right and you will see some links under UGA Blogs. Those guys are pretty darn good at giving you the whys and wherefores. Ok, now that that's out of the way lets get on with this week's game.

The Dawgs traveled to Stillwater, OK to take on the OK State Cowboys. We were ranked #13 while the Cowboys were #9. Leave it to us to open with a top 10 ranked team. LOL Would I rather see us open with a pansy team? Heck no!! Am I disappointed in the loss? You bet, but as a friend said earlier this weekend, disappointed but not embarrassed. Am I surprised that we lost? Not really. We lost some big time players to the NFL (Congrats to Matthew Stafford who was named starting QB for the Detroit Lions today). I have a feeling this is going to be a rough year. I will remain optimistic though. Until I'm forced to feel otherwise. ;)

The game on Saturday was not good. On the first drive the boys looked good. Marching down the field and scoring a touchdown. The only UGA touchdown in the game. *sigh* The rest of the game the offense didn't look so good. I'm trying to be positive here and give Joe Cox the benefit of the doubt. He was, after all, suffering from "flu like" symptoms. I'll hold off on my judgement until he's had time to recover. The defense made some amazing plays. There were some HUGE hits out there. Don't get me started on some of the new rules about roughing the receivers. Ugh! Let them play ball for crying out loud. As long as they aren't hitting them in the head or leading with their head let them play. Have a feeling I'm not going to like that rule this year at all!!

Here are the stats from the game:

1. Joe Cox was 15 of 30 for 162 yards with 1 TD and 1 interception.
2. Richard Samuel had 20 carries for 87 yards.
3. AJ Green had 4 catches for 52 yards.
4. Cox threw to 9 different receivers.
5. Rushing total was 104 (not counting sacks)
6. Total yards was 266.

While I am disappointed with the outcome of this game, I'm not disheartened. I still have faith in my boys. We start our very difficult SEC schedule next week against South Carolina. The Yard Birds come into Athens hot off of their 7-3 win over NC State. Don't get cocky though Dawg fans. You know that this is always a tough game for us.

Until next week........................


GATA DAWGS!!!!

No comments: