Thursday, March 01, 2007

Severe weather threat

We dismissed from school 2 hours early today due to the severe weather threat. Luckily, we didn't get the bad weather they were expecting. It sounds like it all hit south of us. A small town in Alabama was hit pretty hard and at least 15 high school students were killed when the ceiling of their school collapsed. This is not only sad, but scary. We tell our students that one of the safest places they can be during weather like that is at school because they are so sturdily built. I know it's true, but having that happen scares me for myself and for my 2 kids since they are in a school building as well and I'm sure if my students hear about it they will freak out the next time we have bad weather. It will just add another hat to the many I wear as a teacher, I guess.

2 comments:

Lynnster said...

I was horrified hearing the news. I know most if not all of them died in the gymnasium, last I heard. I did hear one of the news people say that some of the students had been lined up in the halls of the school, which, you know, was always protocol when I was in school. And which was why I found it kind of curious that the ones who died were in the gym in the first place, because that was never one of the set places to go in any of the schools I went to. The gym never would have been considered for most because most of the gyms in my schools had a fair amount of large windows.

I don't know, after I'd thought about it for a while and heard several reports about what happened, I just found that curious that they were in there and wondered if someone sent them in there, or if they just couldn't get to any of the specified storm shelter places in the school in time.

Whatever the case, though, it's horribly, horribly sad. My ex's stepmother is from Enterprise and graduated from that school, and I feel sure she probably had young relatives in school there.

Beth said...

I have never felt easy about leaving my kids at school. If a storm comes up to the west of us, I will go and get them. I could not bear the thought of something happening to them and me not being with them. I would die.